Wednesday, August 25, 2010

"A Great Moment" Great Dane


The Great Dane painting is finished. I switched things up a bit. Usually, with pastel paintings, I work from left to right so my hand doesn't interfere with anything I've already laid down.

The background is started first and finished last. However, with this piece, I painted the subject first and then decided upon the background.

Originally, the background was going to be an a prestigious entrance to an estate. Hours were spent photographing entries of beautiful homes for this purpose. I have the most amazing carriage house type entrance from Rhode Island that was considered along with the latest photos taken.

In the end, simplicity won out. The background is a quiet antique"ish" feeling of an old landscape painting. I hope you enjoy viewing "A Great Moment" as much as I enjoyed painting it!

No comments: