Each time a person contacts me to paint for them my heart skips a beat. There is something special about painting for someone. In the past, my art has hung in galleries, and that was amazing. However, here is something special about a custom commission where you develop a relationship with the collector(s).
When Ken contacted me about painting Finley, I couldn't wait to get started. The photos of Finley oozed of his personality. All Irish for sure - a gentle and loving dog - imagining a mischievous boy mixed in with some rollicking and laughter. I can only imagine his shenanigans!
I asked Ken to share a little about Finley. Following is the story of Finley....
Here’s a little backstory on Finley:
I have always owned Irish setters. After my third one, Maggie, passed away I swore I’d never get another as she was such a great girl.
One day, after she had been gone for ten almost years, I accidentally selected a YouTube video of Irish setters puppies playing and running around. I knew that I just had to have another!
It took me a while but I finally found a breeder who was going to have a litter very shortly.
When the litter was old enough to have a forever home I visited the breeder to check them out. All seven of the puppies were let out of their pen and free to run outside in the yard. All but one briefly sniffed me and went away. That last one came up to where I sat, sniffed me and then lay his head right on my sneakers for about 10 seconds. I knew that pup was the one for me, whether male or female.
I told the breeder “This one is mine” and she placed a little blue collar on him. His dad’s name was Finnegan and his mother’s name was Gracie so I did a kind of mashup and named him Finley. He has been my constant companion ever since.
Thank you to Finley's family for choosing me to paint him!
%20-%20Copy.png) |
| Finley's reference photo |
No comments:
Post a Comment