Saturday, January 28, 2023

Painting of Rocky - a White German Shepherd

I've been so negligent in posting finished paintings the last few years.  Not all those who commission my work want their painting posted.  Paintings of our special pets touch our hearts and I totally understand how some people would prefer for their painting to be kept private.   With that said, I don't post any paintings until I've spoken with the parties involved with the painting and know their wishes.  

This is a painting of Rocky.  He had the most amazing personality.   He never met a dog he didn't like.  He had a full life and crossed over the rainbow bridge at 15 years old.


White animals and black animals can be the most challenging to capture in a painting.  The lights and darks are already the color of the animals.  When creating highlights and shadows on animals that are black or white, I use a variety of colors - yellows, blues, purples and turquoise (subtly) to enhance the paintings.   I'll also make some areas darker than the photograph and some areas lighter.   While it is often referred to as artist liberty, it is a balance of instinct and composition.  Usually, the collar is removed from pets unless the owners prefer the collars to be left on.  With Rocky's painting, the darkness of his nose and mouth really set his face in front of his body.   Very little creative shadowing was necessary to define the distance.

He was a sweet soul and loved dearly.   I'd spent time with him in person and he was truly a special dog.  Below is the reference photo I'd taken of him for the painting.




No comments: