Thursday, December 2, 2021

A painting of Billy - Irish Setter

This is a painting of Billy.   He is formally known as CH Bellary Ride Cowboy Ride BN, RI, SWN, CGC, TKN, ATT.

I've known him since he was a pup and painted a mini painting of him at that time.  Now it is ...gosh....5 years later and that pup has grown into a beautiful dog.  I was thrilled to be able to paint him again.  With this painting we used a photo his owner had taken.  It was a lovely pose of him.  The only draw back was the lighting.   The lighting made the darker areas too dark and the lighter areas too light.   To get the proper coloring, I relied on a number of other photos.  There was one photo where his owner held his ear in her hand so I could see the coloring compared to the skin tone of a person.   My goal is never to copy a photo.  The photo is only the roadmap to keep the likeness to that specific animal accurate.  My job as an artist is to create something special.

My art has opened up the opportunity to get to know so many people and I am blessed to be able to call them friends.    When I paint landscapes or wildlife (etc) the paintings are not as personal.   When I am painting someone's beloved animal


it is personal and we develop a relationship.   I want the recipient of the painting to look at the art and know they are looking at their special pet.

Thank you to Rita for having me paint her boy.   It is always an honor.  



No comments: